Your Legal Toolbox:

How to Obtain Your Criminal History

For Michigan criminal records:

Michigan has a tool called the Internet Criminal History Access Tool (ICHAT) that allows you to obtain a copy of your criminal history. Link:

There is a $10 fee, and upon submitting the fee, you will have access to your records for seven days. Your record is not mailed to you, so it is important to print it out and keep copies for your records.

For out-of-state criminal records:

The FBI provides a tool called Identity History Summary Check to review criminal history nationwide. Link:

There is an $18 fee, with processing times typically 3-5 business days. There are three ways to submit a request:

  1. Requests can be submitted electronically at Follow the steps under “Obtaining Your Identity History Summary”. You will be required to submit your fingerprints, which can be through a U.S. Post Office location or other agencies that provide a fingerprint card.
  2. Requests can be made via mail. You will be required to submit an application (link: and fingerprints.
  3. Requests can be made through a third-party, called FBI-approved Channelers.

Depending on the reason for your inquiry, such as if you are requesting a background check for employment or licensing purposes, there are limitations as to which method you may utilize.

Speak to an experienced Michigan criminal defense attorney immediately. Call us at (248) 834-3430 for a free initial consultation.

What if there is something incorrect on my criminal record?

Your criminal record exists in several places, including with:

  • The Michigan State Police
  • The Michigan Department of Corrections
  • The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
  • Private investigation companies
  • Local police departments
  • Local courts

How to fix a mistake on your record really depends on where the mistake is made. Every agency has a process to correct that mistake, which typically involves you providing proof of the mistake. The processes get nuanced, and getting your record corrected with one agency does not mean that it has been fully corrected.

If you need help correcting your criminal history, speak to an experienced Michigan criminal defense attorney immediately.